Kuta is a well known destination amongst surfing enthusiasts. A long sandy beach with a lack of dangerous rocks or coral, makes the area attractive for beginners. There are some informations you need to know before do surfing in Kuta:
- There are several surf shops on Poppies II which all seem to be much of a muchness. Friendly local surfer dudes will happily chat wth you about the waves, offer to fix a ding, rent you a board and sell you just about anything surf-related.
- Some of the surf dudes in the shops also offer private lessons. They are considerably cheaper than the surf schools but just as good. Many of the dudes have been working for the schools or do it on the side. You can find them on the web so you should look around. One good one is the "Sion Surf Shop" on Poppies I, around 400 metres from the beach.
- Be careful when you rent on a beach, some boards are in such a poor condition that you are very lucky if you don't break it. And that is what some guys who operate the rental business are looking for. If you break it, then they may demand that you pay for it. So choose only the boards that appear to be in good condition, otherwise you may get ripped off.
- It is also possible to rent equipment from locals on the beach for between IDR 20,000 to 80,000 per half day, however prices asked are often closer to IDR 40,000 to 100,000 for one hour. If you rent from the same guys for a few consecutive days you will almost certainly get a better price. The equipment quality is lower than of the formal outlets. The surfers on the beach can also give you some basic lessons, and look after your stuff while you are in the water. If this is your first experience of surfing it is safer to use a surf school or private lessons before heading out on your own.
- If you want to rent for a few days, rather use rentasurfboard.com. Their price is IDR 100,000 for one day. The boards are usually in very good condition and the local guy who handles the business is really a good guy.
- Bali learn to surf, is Bali's first professional surf school and they have an office at the Hard Rock Hotel, as well as a beach presence. Offers equipment in good condition and premises for a surfing introduction in calm water at the swimming-pool of the Hard Rock Hotel. An introductory lesson costs 45 US Dollar, lasts 2.5 hours and students are offered hotel transfers and fresh water. A three days course costs 120 US Dollar, and five days course include a "Surfari" to other surfing spots for 200 US Dollar.
- Bali Wave Hunter, us a surfing charters and tours from Bali to Nusa Lembongan, Lombok & Sumbawa with a professional photograper. Visiting world class reef breaks, like Desert Point, Scar Reef, YoYo's and Super Sucks. Uses an 80 feets Indonesian jukung outrigger with 6 cylinder diesel engine, full size beds, shower and toilet, tv, video/DVD player and stereo, PlayStation 2 and wake boarding facilities. 240v power with international plugs, fully equipped kitchen with fridge/freezer, safety equipment, first aid kit, VHF/UHF radio. Smaller boat also available.
Have an exciting surf in Kuta, have also a perfect accomodation in Adhi Jaya Sunset Hotel. Adhi Jaya Sunset, a unique modern minimalist Hotel with a glazed of Balinese touch designed to accommodate every occasion needed. Located right on a very strategic area at Sunset Road in among vibrant and dynamic area such as Kuta, Seminyak and Legian. The great combination of our design with friendly and helpful staff would make your stay memorable.